The Florida Veterinary Referral Center (FVRC) externship program provides veterinary students the opportunity to gain experience in a state-of-the-art specialty referral and emergency facility dedicated to delivering both high quality customer service and patient care. Our program is designed to allow senior veterinary students the option to choose from a variety of small animal clinical services such as Internal Medicine, Oncology, Neurology, Surgery, and Emergency & Critical Care. Students may select one area of interest or rotate through several services during their externship experience.
All students are expected to attend and participate in morning and evening hospital rounds, departmental rounds and lectures, and weekly intern topic rounds. Students are expected to review various cases observed during their rotation and be able to answer questions posed to them. Each student is provided ongoing access to our library to further assist them in their clinical knowledge and understanding of cases which they may have seen or discussed during their rotations.
FVRC’s externship program is observational only. All students work directly with the specialists within their assigned department. In addition, students work closely with our group of emergency clinicians, interns, and highly trained technical staff, all of whom help to provide a comprehensive and rewarding learning experience at our referral hospital.
Prerequisites for Externship:
- Must have primary professional interest in small animal medicine, surgery, oncology, neurology, or emergency and critical care
- Preferences given to 4th year veterinary students
- Students are responsible for securing their own housing and transportation during their externship
- Letter of Intent – include the specific dates you would like to participate as well as areas of interest
- Two months notice preferred
- Proof of health insurance & liability coverage required
If you are a veterinary student and would like more information about our program, please contact:
Laura Breunig, DVM
Hospital Director, Internship Coordinator